Transfer Student

1. Setup an appointment with your new school.

Don’t just assume the school you want to transfer to will take you! Some schools don’t accept any transfer students; others accept a maximum number of transfer hours, while other schools have more relaxed standards for transferees. It’s important to setup an appointment with a school advisor right away to determine if you are able to transfer in, the associated costs, school schedule, and the school’s process for skills assessment. All Michigan schools that accept transfer students are required by law to assess the incoming student’s skill level so don’t be offended that they won’t just take all the hours from your previous school.

2. Change your school code for FAFSA.

If you receive Federal Student Aid in any form (grants and/or loans) you will need to change the school code in the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the new school you will be attending. Just go to the government’s website to guide you through this process. You will need to have your login information and pin number to successfully change this. Your student aid will be delayed if you do not change this code, so do it as soon as you can.