School Shut Down? Feel Let Down? We can help!
Seven Simple Steps and Quick Tips to Transfer Cosmetology Schools in Detroit and Southeast Michigan
Stacy Wells, L’esprit Academy School for Hair, Skin & Nails
For more info click here: www.lespritacademy.com
Transferring schools can be an intimidating task, especially for anyone who doesn’t like to deal with paperwork, or if it has happened without warning (like the Regency Beauty Institute sudden shut down). But transferring beauty schools can be easy in Michigan if you know what you’re doing and you follow these simple steps to guide you on how to transfer cosmetology schools.
- Setup an appointment with your new school. https://www.lespritacademy.com/offerings.htmlDon’t just assume the school you want to transfer to will take you! Some schools don’t accept any transfer students; others accept a maximum number of transfer hours, while other schools have more relaxed standards for transferees. It’s important to setup an appointment with a school advisor right away to determine if you are able to transfer in, the associated costs, school schedule, and the school’s process for skills assessment. All Michigan schools that accept transfer students are required by law to assess the incoming student’s skill level so don’t be offended that they won’t just take all the hours from your previous school.
- Change your school code for FAFSA. https://www.lespritacademy.com/enrollment.html If you receive Federal Student Aid in any form (grants and/or loans) you will need to change the school code in the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the new school you will be attending. Just go to the government’s website to guide you through this process. You will need to have your login information and pin number to successfully change this. Your student aid will be delayed if you do not change this code, so do it as soon as you can.
- School certification of hours. All licensed beauty schools in Michigan are required to file each students hours every month. You will need to complete a certification of hours form with your new school. Information is available on the State website under FAQ. A non-refundable fee of $15 is required by check or money order made payable to the State of Michigan.
- Setup an assessment. Your new school will need to assess your skill level to determine the number of hours they are willing to accept to apply to your new program. The assessment is also helpful for the school to determine which part of the curriculum or class to place you in. Gather up all of your tools and supplies in a clean and organized way. Be prepared to demonstrate practical and theoretical knowledge. Yes, this is a test! The school advisor will tell you exactly what to bring and how long the assessment will take. Be professional, prepared and on time. You want this assessment as accurate as possible so avoid distractions of tools not working, running late or disorganization to take away from your performance.
- Wait for certification of hours. It might take a couple of weeks to receive via mail your official certification of hours from the State of Michigan. Unfortunately, there is no way to speed up this process. In the meantime you will be taking your assessment, getting your financial aid in order and planning the rest of your education.
- Sign a contract. Once your certified hours have been documented by the State and the school has determine the number of transfer hours they will accept, you will need to sign a school enrollment agreement. Once a contract has been signed, you can move forward with your financial aid if necessary.
- Start your new school. Once you have completed the contract and financial aid process, you are ready to start. At the time of contract signing, you will receive a start date and contract end date. Now you have your education future mapped out…your adventure awaits!
These simple steps and tips to transfer beauty schools are part of a helpful plan to chart your course for educational achievement. The beauty industry has enjoyed continuous growth year after year and has some of the top job opportunities around, so making sure you’re in the best cosmetology school for you in Detroit and Southeast Michigan is vital for your success in this exciting and fast paced industry! (www.lespritacademy.com). For more information on our two beautiful campuses in Royal Oak and Livonia, visit www.lespritacademy.com or call 248-266-8888 (Royal Oak) 734-762-0200 (Livonia).